The UK STEM has developed a range of engaging activities that can be delivered in your setting, school, youth club or event.
All activities are completely adaptable to suit ages 10 to 18 years and we are proud to work in collaboration with a number of STEM organisations and industry that supports the development of key STEM skills and raises awareness of the varied STEM careers and their pathways.
H2 The Future
It’s a growing technology that needs young talent to join in. To maximise the use of renewable energy sources energy storage is required. Hydrogen (H2) can be produced from solar, wind, tidal and wave energy. H2 can be stored and used when required. These fuel cells convert the H2 back to electricity with water as the only by-product.
UKSTEM has partnered with Bramble Energy to develop the first H2 buggies with UK designed and produced fuel cells.
If you’d like further information on this activity or would like to make a booking, please click here.
Hydrogen fuel cell powered buggies
- Run on 20ml of low pressure hydrogen
- Hydrogen supplied from refillable ‘Hydrostiks’ – a safe and reliable method of using hydrogen in the classroom.
- Students experience hands on the use of hydrogen as an energy carrier.
- They experiment with fuel cells management techniques to improve performance – purging, shorting, load levels.
- They build the buggy from a kit and can experiment with various drive options to be the fastest or furthest buggy!
In this STEM and business game, learners take on the role of a Design Engineer to create their own wind turbine to generate cheapest electricity for their wind energy business and country.
Learn how design, shape, angles and position are key to effectively produce wind energy and compete against other teams to see which country can produce the most energy/electricity.
As part of the session learners will also hear about the relevant careers, skills and pathways relevant to the wind and renewable energy industry.
This activity can be delivered to groups of up to 40 young people aged 10 to 18 years. The session is flexible and will take between 1.5 and 3 hours to complete.
All resources and equipment are provided.
Key STEM skills developed:
- Problem Solving
Click here to contact us about this activity.
Crumble CPD Workshops for Teachers/Youth Leaders
The crumble microcontroller has gained immense popularity in schools due to its flexibility and ease of use.
This Crumble workshop is a hands-on training session to fit your needs, your curriculum and your availability. The sessions are run face 2 face or online, one big session or several smaller ones.
- In-depth knowledge. We have been with Crumble since the start and work closely with Redfern electronics on the development and of new components.
- Clear guidance. We are the only training organisation to publish the Crumble Cookbook that supports learning with clear illustrations and guidance.
- Unique project ideas. We have a host of varied ideas for Crumbles from starter to advanced levels and we are the only organisation to have developed a Crumble Universal Buggy and the Crumble Cookbook as featured in our shop.